Contacting Yorsensory

What happens when I contact Yorsensory for help?

Many of the contacts that come to Yorsensory arrive via referrals from other organisations.  However, any adults, who reside within York, can contact us directly to make a self- referral either in person, by email, post or telephone.

Following your referral or contact to us, you may receive Information and Advice or you may wish to discuss with us whether your needs require further involvement from us.  The Duty Officer, who will answer the phone or meet with you in the Hub, will ask questions to decide whether you require a Sensory Assessment.  If it is agreed with yourself, that you would like a Sensory Assessment then you will be placed upon a waiting list until your case has been allocated to one of our professionally trained Sensory Assessors.

What is the aim of a Sensory Assessment? 

It is to promote safety and independence.

What happens In a Sensory Assessment?

A Sensory Assessment is a social care assessment which is focussed upon your sensory loss and how this is affecting your life on a day to day basis.  The Assessment can be conducted within your own home or you can come into our Sensory Hub, in Huntington, where we can complete this work with you.  You will be asked questions to ascertain where the areas of challenge are affecting you and how.   You will be offered information and advice which will help you in your life or/and you may be signposted to an organisation or referred onwards.   If it is considered appropriate, and you are found to be eligible, you may be offered some equipment to assist you with your daily life.

What happens when I have been given some equipment?

When you have received equipment, following an assessment, you will be called by your Sensory Assessor, within 6 weeks, to ascertain if the equipment has made the desired and expected changes within your daily life.  If this is agreed to be so, then the equipment becomes your property and your case will be closed.  If there are other needs or issues you have shared with us that we cannot meet then we may offer you the option to be referred onto another service or team.

You can self- refer back into the Yorsensory service if your sensory loss changes or deteriorates.

What happens if I have difficulty getting out and about due to my sight loss?

If, during your Sensory Assessment, it is found that you are having problems mobilising within the home and/or outside of your home, you will then be referred onto one of our Rehabilitation Officers to conduct Mobility training with you.  This is an opportunity for you to be supported by a professional, who will teach you the skills and benefits of using a guide/long cane to enable you to access your environment without the support of anyone else.  If this training is successful and you and your Rehabilitation Officer agree that a guide/long cane can be helpful to you, then you will be issued with this piece of equipment which then becomes yours.  Your Rehabilitation Officer will call you within 6 weeks to conduct a Review, which is to discuss whether the guide/long cane is helping you in your life.  If this is so then your case will be closed.

flowchart of referal process